What size skip should I order?
There are many types of skips available depending on the job you intend to do:
- Mini skips - a small compact skip suitable for small garden clearences, DIY jobs, loft clearences etc. It has a capacity of approimately 20 bin bags and can be delivered into smaller areas uses our 7.5 tonne trucks. Height 900mm, lengh 1,700mm, width 1,320mm.
- Midi skips - about 1.6 times the size of the mini skips with a capacity of approximatekly 35 bin bags. Similar materials can be placed in the midi skip, if it is filled with soil it will need to be collected by an 18 tonne truck so care needs to be taken with access. Height 900mm, length 2,350mm, width 1,600mm.
- Builders skips - Used for most jobs where there is a lot of material to be moved: Extensions, large garden projects, roofing jobs, house clearences, drive replacments etc. All our builders skips have drop doors for ease of loading. They can carry approximately 6 - 7 tonnes of soil or 60 bin bags. Height 1,020mm, length 3,350mm, width 1,750mm.
- 14 yd skips - a very large skip used for light large volumes of waste such as shop fitting, house clearances and shop clearences. A 14yd skip cannot be placed on the highway or filled with soil or brick as it will be too heavy to pick up. Height 1,850mm, length 3,900mm, width 1,750 mm.
What can be placed in a skip?
There are very strict laws regarding what can and cannot be placed in a skip. as a general rule you should not place the following in a skip:
- Paint and paint tins
- Gas bottles
- Fridges and freezers
- Fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- Wet batteries (cars etc) or dry batteries
- Food waste
Should you have a requirement to dispose of this type of waste please contact us on 0121 772 6770.
How long can I have a skip for?
Skips are generally hired on a weekly basis, should you require on for longer please contact us on 0121 772 6770 to discuss extending the hire period.
How do I get my skip collected?
It will either get collected within 4 days of the end of the agreed hire period or within 4 days of a phone call requesting a collection. If there is a permit in place there is a separate arrangement covered in the Permits section of FAQ's.
What happens if I need to cancel an order?
Providing the skip has not left the yard there are no cancellation charges. If you have paid by debit/credit card we will credit the card back. If we have attempted to deliver the skip you will be charged a wasted journey charge which is dependent on the size of the skip/lorry.
What area do you cover?
Please see the 'Areas Covered' tab at the top of the front screen. In general we will deliver to Birmingham, Solihull, Sutton, Knowle and Dorridge. If you cannot find your area on the list please call us on 0121 772 6770 to discuss your requirements.
What payment methods are available?
There are 4 ways of paying for a skip:
- By debit/creit card online or over the phone
- Cash on delivery/exchange
- Cheque on delivery - allow 7 days for cheques to clear, we will be unable to collect a skip before that time.
- Trade account - trade customers can apply for an account by filling in an account application form available on 0121 772 6770.
How do I order an exchange?
You can either rebook it on-line providing the original delivery was booked on-line or book the exchange over the phone on 0121 772 6770. If you wish to change the size of the skip please arrange a collection of the original skip and a delivery of a new skip.
How can I order a skip?
You can either book a skip online or book over the phone on 0121 772 6770. Should you wish to email the order please use email@example.com.
What is the difference between a delivery and an exchange?
A delivery is when an empty skip is supplied to a site, an exhange is when a full skip is collected and replaced by an empty one. This can either be the same size skip or a different sized skip.
When will my skip be delivered?
You can book an am or pm delivery on-line. Should you require a more accurate time slot please contact the office on 0121 772 6770 and we will able to give a time such as between 10 and 12 or 2 and 4. We will not deliver outside of those times should you wish to plan your day around them. All our drivers have phones and will call you if necessary.
Is there anything I should do before my skip arrives?
There are several things you may need to think about:
- The skip will be delivered by an 18 tonne lorry so access is vital. A minimum width of 6 foot 8 inches (2.03 metres) and clearance of 12 foot 4 inches (3.76 metres) for height is required. If there are high pillars or walls on the access you will need to allow 9 foot 9 inches (2.97 metres) for the wing mirrors to clear.
- It is the responsibility of the owner to protect their driveway. Please provide adequate protection for your drive either using ply sheets or boards. You may also want to to consider putting down polythene sheet to prevent any spillages marking the drive.
- If you are having a a skip placed on the highway, and have a permit in place, please ensure that there is a space equivalent to 2 car lengths available to allow the lorry to offload the skip.
- You may need to let your neighbours know that a skip is being delivered so that their cars are not blocking access for the skip lorry. This includes cars on the other side of the road as all deliveries involve the lorry reversing into the desired delivery point.
- If you are planning to use a wheelbarrow to move your waste you should order a builders skip with a drop down door for ease of loading. You can ask for the skip to be placed to suit your loading i.e. door to the back of the truck or door to the front of the truck.
When is a permit required?
If a skip is placed on the public highway i.e. outside of the perimeter of the property then a permit is required. Skips placed on roads require permits. Skips are not allowed to be placed on kerbs, grass verges, on yellow lines or in parking meter bays.
Who is responsible for applying for permits?
The owner of the skip, in this case Kiely Bros, applies for the permit from the relevent council e.g. Birmingham or Solihull.
What does a permit cost?
In Birmingham we apply a charge of £20.00 per week and for Solihull it is £60.00 per month. The charges include the permit, use of lights and cones and also administartion. There is no VAT applicable to permits.
What happens when the permits runs out?
Kiely Bros will contact you prior to the permit running out to confirm that you have finished with the skip. You will be able to extend your permit if you wish or arrange for the skip to be collected. The permits cost the same for an extension.
If I have more than 1 skip do I need further permits.
Yes, a permit is required for each individual skip i.e. 2 skips on the same site need 2 permits, the same applies to lights and cones. If you have one skip and require an exchange the permit, so long as it is within date, covers each exchange.
Who supplies lights and cones.
Kiely Bros will supply the lights and cones when the skip is deliverd or exchanged. We request that customers notify us if cones are stolen or the batteries run out on the lighst so that we can replace them asap.
How can I contact you?
- Phone 0121 772 6770
- Fax 0121 772 6771
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org